Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: cabinet construction

  1. #1
    Inactive Member tillpape's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2002
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was at the same point finding no old 828 in my country and descided to build my own. I know no book for speaker building that tells you to build the way altec did. All those hobby speakerbuilder books tell about using MDF and building small, tall BR boxes....


    There are very good plans for altec speakers in the net and advice others gave me was to build a little more stiff and use instead of 18mm birch plywood at least 20mm etc.

    some plans:
    http://www.soundpractices.com/altec.html

  2. #2
    Inactive Member dancing-dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2nd, 2003
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've been on a recent tangent to get some Altec speakers, but have come to a point where I realize that it's not the most practical move to purchase cabinets any time soon....

    So the next logial thing to do is to build my own cabinets. I would like to know if anyone can recommend some decent books on speaker cabinet design and construction. Any advice on this is much appreciated.

    David

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Dave,

    If you want to build a pair of A7s (aka 828) I can send you some plans with some notes I made on "improvements" to the basic design and a pattern that makes construction of the horn easier.

    Personally, I think hand made cabinets can be much better than factory mass produced ones if a person has the time and patience to do a good job.

    Regards,

  4. #4
    Inactive Member cberkeley's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2003
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi All,
    I would like to build a pair of VOTT A7 Enclosures. Can someone supply me some plans or at least point me in the right direction as to where to locate such?
    I can be e-mailed off list: [email protected]

    Season's Greetings,
    Cletus 9Z4CLB

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Altec Fan, I'll take them. I will send an email to you for further instructions. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Okay!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Gee, I've got one 825 and one 828 cabinet (good condition, no drivers or crossovers) sitting in my garage that I would be willing to donate to the first person who showed up in my driveway with a way to haul them off. Anyone in or near Minnesota interested?

    Later . . .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.